Scotland/Uruguay/Brazil/Rio Grande do Sul

I'm finding it hard to write this post without getting too emotional.

In November last year I went to Canelones, in Uruguay, for a seminar with Julia Varley organised by Teatro La Sala. I have been inspired by the work of the Odin Teatret for the past 6 years and meeting Julia and having the chance to discuss this project with her was quite amazing. I remember telling Julia that I really wanted to realise the encounter of the place where I was born and grew up and the place where I chose to live, both of which I carry very dearly in my heart.

Livramento/Rivera are my essence. Although my nationality is only Brazilian, I am entitled to Uruguayan citizenship and feel like I belong there too. In addition to belonging to two countries, a third element that unites us all is the gauchismo. Above being Brazilian or Uruguayan, here we are gauchos.

When I was thinking about moving abroad, I talked to an English colleague who worked at the same school teaching EFL. I said I wanted to go to an English-speaking country, but wasn't too keen on England, Australia or the USA, so she suggested Scotland. Her parents were Scottish and she was married to a Brazilian guy and had been living in Rio Grande do Sul for many years, and was therefore familiar with both cultures. Karen (that was her name) said I would probably like Scotland because the people and traditions were pretty similar to the gauchos. She wasn't wrong. I fell in love with Scotland as soon as I landed in Edinburgh, and the past 6 years just made that feeling stronger.

The first time I heard about Theatre Anthropology was in 2007, when I was working as an interpreter for Augusto Omolu in Bristol. I was just about to finish my first year of the Drama and Theatre Arts course and Augusto asked me what kind of theatre I wanted to make when I grew up. I wasn't really sure at this time, I felt I didn't know enough, but I told him I would like to do something that involved researching Scottish or European traditions and gaucho culture. Augusto then suggested I get acquainted with Eugenio Barba's work.

So, 6 years on, here we are. I have a degree in Directing, I have been to the Odin in Denmark, I have met many fantastic people, I have had hundreds of interesting personal and professional experiences and I am at a very strange moment in my life, when I am not yet allowed back in Scotland and don't want to settle back in my home border. And this is how everything comes together so beautifully and even if just for a few hours, the whole universe makes sense.

Watching my Fronteiras Explorers companions learning the gaucho dances was excellent. Watching them teaching my compatriots to ceilidh dance was amazing. Witnessing gauchos wearing their traditional outfits spinning around the hall stripping the willow, inviting Gwennie to have an accordion-off with them mashing up traditional songs from Livramento and "My Heart Will Go On" (because it was the only song in English they knew), getting Andy to dress up as a gaucho and say "Eu sou Fronteiro!" ("I am from the border!"), and helping Louisa hang up the Saltire next to the Uruguayan, Brazilian and Rio Grande do Sul flags was the most complete feeling of happiness I have experienced in a very long time.

I am very proud of all my countries, official or not. I am incredibly grateful to CTG Fronteira Aberta and their dance troupe Os Fronteiros for being so generous and fun. And I couldn't have asked for a better group of Explorers than this one. Loads of love to all of you, and thank you for being such an important part of me.

2 comentários:

Anônimo disse...
20 de abril de 2013 às 04:15

Fantastic to read this, be reminded of your journey and know just how well you are doing despite obstacles to overcome. Bit emotional myself, actually!

Have been reading blog and enjoying a lot, just found it a hassle to comment via Bramble, so only on now via pc.

All the best to everyone involved and extra especially you, Flav!

Baxa in Edinburgh disse...
20 de abril de 2013 às 21:06

Thanks Dani. Always great to hear from you and get your support. Do spread the word about the blog, things are about to get more interesting. ;)

Postar um comentário